September 15, 2009

Hungry Ghosts




Hungry Ghosts* I - IV
Ink on Paper 2009

These sketches are hopefully preliminary images for a new series I plan to begin.

*Hungry Ghosts:
Characterized by - Greed, Insatiable cravings, and Addictions.

"I want this, I need this, 1 have to have this".

This is the realm of intense craving. The Hungry Ghosts are shown with enormous stomachs and tiny necks - they want to eat, but cannot swallow; when they try to drink. the liquid turns to fire, intensifying their thirst. The torture of the hungry ghost is not so much the frustration of not being able to get what he wants. rather it is his clinging to those things he mistakenly thinks will bring satisfaction and relief.

The Buddha in this Realm holds a Bowl from which the 'gifts of the gods' are distributed. This is to entice the hungry ghosts to desire for the Truth which is the only way that the deepest longings and hungers can be satisfied.


Consider: 'Gollum' from Lord of the Rings; The obssessive nature of Video Games; Addictions of various sorts; We can be helped in this Realm by our willingness to 'look up', to see beyond our obssessions.

-From The Six Realms of Existence

5 comments:

Ray Avito said...

Fantastic, very otherworldly! I really like these.

Kail said...

Simply amazing. You can really feel the emotion in these pictures.

CS said...

Hey just FB requested you! Big fan of your art - especially Hungry Ghosts stuff. I'm working on a song about them (in draft mode) and would like to use your art as a song cover - is that ok? I gave you credit: http://youtu.be/KbrQ8_2X1ho
If it's not ok, no worries :)
CS

Josette said...

Hello Timothy,

I came across your pictures of Hungry Ghosts when I did a Google search. I recently did a temple stay in Korea where we had formal monastic meals each day. They explained that we need to make sure our bowls had no remaining pieces of food so that the Hungry Ghosts wouldn't choke. I'm writing a piece about my experience now, and would like to use your pictures. Of course I would link my readers to your site. Would this be ok?

Josette

Timothy said...

Hello Josette, I haven't checked in for a while. Please feel free to use the images with a link. -T